Sunday, October 18, 2009

Gopalaswamy Betta – Devine Temple on a Misty Mountain

Gopalaswamy Betta (Betta is nothing but a hill, a Kannada word) is a must visit! I just couldn’t believe my eyes as I drove through the misty ghat to reach the hill top. It was a misty morning and absolutely refreshing! Just look at the photos that I clicked there! Sorry I’m no photographer :) so enjoy what you see! I tried taking some panoramic photos and the first one came out ok.

Reaching Gopalaswamy Betta is quite easy, Just drive on Mysore – Ooty road, once you cross Gundlupet, its about 10 kms. You will need to take a right turn. There is a Road Sign, so hard to miss that right turn. Once you make the right turn, its about 15 kms to the summit, Road is not that good but scenic and enjoyable.

The temperature considerably drops as you near the summit and feels dreamy once you make it to the summit. They say, it usually remains misty most of the time and hence the name Himavad Gopalaswamy Betta (Snow covered Hill). It is the highest peak in the Bandipur range. If you are lucky, you would see elephants there. Unfortunately, sue to the mist, I could not get to see them! I shall go again :)

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure!

HG Betta_1 copy

Temple at Gopalaswamy Betta copy

No comments: